Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Real Meaning of Christmas

I'm still in the far away land. Tonight I went to wal-mart to get my oil changed, and have to pictures developed at around 5:30PM. As I was just cruising around the story around 6:00pm I saw this lady with her cart, her children, a clip board, and pen. I thought that lady is so organized! Well, a minute later I saw another person this time a man with a cart, his children, a clip board, and a pen... I don't know of any man who 1) Can really go shopping with all his kids and 2) USES A CLIP BOARD! So at this point I knew that something was happening. With in a few minutes this wal-mart was packed with people with clip boards looking for certain things. There was a different feel about these people NONE of them were pushy or rude. However at this point 6:15PM the store is as packed as the day after Thanksgiving. I did not see a single person (other than myself) without a clip board looking for things.

So I finally asked someone what they were doing she replied that each year the community comes together and each family buys something for a person in need. Wal-mart has lists of what is needed and the people pick up a clip board and shop for another person who would not have a Christmas without another's kindness. As I walked outside I was surprised to see three big u-haul trucks being filled with the items the families had purchased.

The thing that really hit me as amazing was that the store was stuffed with people who took a day off from the normal Christmas shopping to help out someone who was less fortunate. Although there were carts and people EVERYWHERE people were smiling and showing the real meaning of Christmas. It was very touching to see people really coming together.

But after all I can say Linus says it best...

No comments: