Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The greatest memories from school

For the last two years I have been in a nursing program. It was hard, does not really explain HOW hard it was, but I with the help from my wonderful classmates, friends, God, and my family made it through. And I have some wonderful memories because of it.

Looking back I remember being a NP-1 student at my first clinical and being so nervous the first time I was giving a PO med. It was such a nerve racking thing.... I kept drilling myself-- did I do my five rights and three checks?!?Gotta love going to the hospital the night before clinical to find out about at patient! Why do patients have to be on so many medications?!? I think the hardest part about NP-1 was EVERYTHING was so new. I have some great memories from NP-1 most of them are me making fun of myself and how easily I would get overwhelmed.

NP-2 was a probably the hardest semester for me not just because of the demands of school, but it felt like my personal life was falling apart. God is the one that got me through this semester. This semester we went to med/surg, OB, and peds. I HATE OB, but again God gave me the strength to not vomit/pass out/ or just go nuts from the screaming women! My OB instructor was amazing, she was sooooo good and that by the time I left I actually kinda liked OB. Remember the mock delivery as are final... man, "N" was pretty smart to call for help so that we could all help with the delivery and get done really fast. Peds, was extremely boring I can't even think of anything to put down because of that!

Remember this "J".... BRIDGE.....TRUCK......RUSH HOUR..... GOING WRONG WAY....... We were leaving the hospital late, after a very long shift. We all wanted to just get home. "J" was driving, and seemed to be a little more rushed then everyone else to get home to see her family. It was really bad traffic and we found out that we were heading the wrong the direction on the road, we were on a very narrow two lane bridge with traffic going so slow "J" choose to just do a U-turn right there. I saw my life flash before my eyes as I saw the cars heading toward us, and the truck was a little to long to make the turn! But she made it, a three point turn, on a bridge, in a truck, in rush hour you gotta give her bonus points for that!

NP-3 we started out again on med/surg, everyone in my group can not forget our instructor "L" "L" was a nurse in the military, and she was hardcore/put we found her pretty funny too. One day in post conference she was telling us how your feel get so cold in a 769 at 40,000,00 feet (that was not really the #!) But the rest of the drive home "C" kept commenting on what "L" had said and was making us have a good laugh! "L" was an interesting lady, I still can't put my finger on exactly what made her so interesting, but I really liked her and her attitude to patients and students.

Oh and third was the semester of psych! Anyplace you go and they teach you self-defense before you can go in.... it will be interesting! This was the one rotation that we didn't have to wear our whites... we got to where "normalier" clothes. Psych was interesting because it was not just a hospital is was a prison for the criminally insane. We where told to never be alone with an "individual", never turn your back, and to stay with someone. On of the most interesting memories was walking the halls of one of the floors (oh and they gave us keys!! they must have trusted us....) with the two other girls "H" and "Em" when we were about half way down the hall to the locked door an "individual" started following us... immediately we all got scarred trying to not show it though we started walking faster. We looked behind us and he had started to walk faster too. We got to the door and as I pulled out my keys and I was trying to unlock the door, I swear I could not get my key to get into the lock it was like all of a sudden my key had changed and would not go into the door; all the time this guy is getting closer and closer to us. Finally I think it was "H" who got her key in and we all ran through the door and slammed it shut behind us. The individual came and looked through the window, and just gave us a really creepy look. I was so glad to get outta there!

Nursing school has been really hard, for the last two years it's been my life. I will be graduating tomorrow night at 6:30PM with the other amazing girls and guys in my class. My nursing cap is ready, dress nicely ironed (it was the dress my mother wore when she graduated from nursing school, shoes (oh crap I gotta get shoes!). After graduation we will give our final hugs and say goodbye.

I had to cry a little, ok maybe a lot, today as it really hit home that I will not be seeing "K", "H" , "S", "J", "C" (both of you that start with Cs!, and "E". I will miss you guys so much. You will be great nurses. I can not explain how much I really love you guys. I don't think that there could have been a better group of girls to meet. Thank you for you love and support during this hard and difficult time. May God blesses you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a really good time too, well after looking back! I am glad I was able you meet you, you are going to make a great nurse. I hope to see you in the hospital with RN behind your name soon!! Keep in touch!

♥Tara

Anonymous said...

Oh man rachel. this gave me chills. I laughed so hard when i read our little pysch rotation story. awh im going to miss you, you have to come visit me in san diego, you will always have a place to stay when you come there!


love Heather