Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Quick Thought

So I just got off work about 20 minutes ago. It was another rotten night in the ER. The good news is that it's my Friday and I have a few days off before I get to go do it again. I can't even begin to explain the things that happen at work. From the patients I care for, to the family members that are in my face, yelling at me for a bunch of bull sh---. I work my rear end off, I do at time actually get to save lives. But it seems as of late I've been getting a lot of full blown psych patients who want to get as much for free as they can. I don't mind working hard but this job is pushing me my last nerve. I can take care of you and meet you physical needs, I attempt to be a compassionate nurse, but no matter what it's never good enough. Someone will ALWAYS be mad and feel the need to get in my face. And I'm supposed to remain calm and be the bigger person, which by the way I do!

Right now it's hard to imagine that just six months ago I was so excited to be working as an RN. And now I'm counting down the days till I'm at my one year mark and can transfer to another department. Being an ER nurse has changed me, it's made me angry and cold at the world.

But I really shouldn't complain it pays good, it's allowing me to buy my first house, and I don't always have to be there. I get to go home and have a nice comfortable life. By hating my job so much it's made me value and want to be with my family even more. It's the highlight of my week to spend my days off with them. Many of my other good friends I seem to have fallen away from just because time is so short and I want to spend as much of it with the people I love and who really love me.

Ok I noticed I've had a lot of posts about work, I try to thing of something else interesting to write about. But for now, GOODNIGHT! :-)

4 comments:

S'mee said...

Sad to hear it's been rough on you. Do you know where you'd like to transfer to?

Red said...

Anywhere seems better then where I'm at right now!!

I'm hoping to either go to peds, NICU, or ICU.

S'mee said...

In my experience, not as a nurse, but as a mom who hung out a lot...Parents can be horrid. Some of the things I witnessed were unbelievable.

Much of it has to do with their kid/baby being on the brink of death or so seriously ill that they indulge them and then get ticked when you don't. Just fyi.

Red said...

pretty much anywhere you go you'll find that kind of stuff... guess it's just one of the perks of the job!!