Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reflecting the Days Events

I had one of  those days at work! I and my patient were placed in a very dangerous situation because of an ahole/money hungry/poor time management doctor and a spineless supervisor. It could have ended very poorly for a patient.

Its caused me a lot of reflection this evening. I had a bad feeling about the procedure from the start. I was literally forced (although the hospital will say there's no mandatory overtime... utter BS in my department) to stay over and do the procedure.

The patient had a complication which could have been prevented by going slower.

Next time I will the big bad witch and follow my gut. I'm not making any friends at work these days.

Rushing around does not improve patient care... and it is extremely dangerous.

Summary of what I've figured out. Background first when things go wrong I often rethink them over and over, wondering if I did the right thing. I should have slowed down. I should have followed my feelings and rescheduled it for a time more appropriate. I did response rapidly. And those assisting responded fast with appropriate resources. There will be no long term injury to the patient. But I will be scarred for life, and I have learned a great deal.

No comments: